Wednesday 15 July 2009

On March 31st:

1889 – The Eiffel Tower was built.

1909 – The building of the Titanic started.

1912 – The building of the Titanic was finished.

1998 – Netscape releases the code base of its browser under an open-source license agreement; the project is given the code name Mozilla and would eventually be spun off into the non-profit Mozilla Foundation.

And in 1993 - I was born. What interesting things happened on the date you where born I wonder?

Anyway, did you know on this day in 1888 - The volcano Mount Bandai erupted, killing at least 470 people in the Fukushima Prefecture of Japan.

Fact Of the (few) days:

King Henry VIII technically had either three or four wives, depending on who you wish to believe.

His marriage to Anne of Cleves was annulled.
The Pope declared his marriage with Anne Boleyn to be void as he was still married to Catherine of Aragon.
The marriage to Catherine of Aragon was declared void by Henry himself (as the new head of the Church of England) as it was illegal to marry the widow of one's brother (Catherine had previously been married to Henry's older brother Arthur).

On a cheerier note: After his death, while being moved to Westminster Abbey, the king's body swelled in the heat and exploded.

4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

You are into Oscar at the moment, are you? Anyone who says, "Don't say you agree with me. When people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong!" has my vote any day! Love

Dominic Rivron said...

What happened on my birthday?

Very little. I seem to have been born on a boring day, along with the actress, Sharon Stone, apparently.

Hang on... Fylde Borough Council in Lancashire opened their crematorium on 10th March, 1958.

Dominic Rivron said...

And Karen was born on the same day as Debbie Rowe (Michael Jackson's ex-wife).

Eclipse said...

Very much so, I adore A Picture Of Dorian Gray. Such an amazing story.

I'm sure laws of probability must show that lots of interesting things MUST have happened. Possibly their not mentioned on the internet - but the point still stands.

Hmmm... *Goes to check who was born on 31/03*